Your FreeFlarum forum is ready to send mail out of the box, using the Mailgun service. These are the default settings (under Administration > Email), that you should not have to touch:
Of course, you can also use your own mail service.
Important: carefully enter the mail settings. If you make a typo, it will brick your Flarum install!
Use Gmail without 2FA
Copy these settings and fill in your own name/password. Note that Gmail will automatically transform the sender of any outgoing mail to your registered Gmail name. It will also put a copy of all mail in your Sent mailbox.
NB. this will not work if you have enabled 2-factor authentication (2FA) for your Gmail account. In that case, you should create an app password.
Use Gmail with 2FA
Use the settings above, except you use an app-password instead of your own password. To get one:
- Click your name or photo near your Gmail inbox's top right corner.
- Follow the My Account link in the sheet that has appeared.
- Click Signing in to Google under Sign-in & security.
- Under the Password & sign-in method section, click App passwords.
- Make sure Mail or Other (custom name) is selected in the Select app drop-down menu. If you selected Mail, choose a computer or device from the Select device menu. If you selected Other (custom name), type the application or add-on and, optionally, device (like "Mozilla Thunderbird on my Linux laptop") over e.g. YouTube on my Xbox.
- Click Generate.